Friday, June 15, 2007

The Pity of Self-Hatred

I can remember a little girl telling me about her uncle molesting her and how she tried to jump off of a roof and end it all. I held on to her tightly....I understood her pain.

I know that feeling well. I thought about suicide often, even had a bottle of bleach in my hand ready to guzzle it down. I thought that if I ended it then I would not have to deal with all the pain any longer. I thought it would be best. I was tired of holding the secret in.

Daddy was gone and I was really in a state of confusion, pain, and turmoil. Everything was topsy turvy....nothing made sense anymore. The more I tried to comprehend, the worse it got.

Why did Daddy leave and not tell Momma?

Why did my step-mother start ignoring me?

Why didn't my momma see the pain and ask why?

Why was I a victim of sexual abuse?

Why did they choose me?

This led me down a road of self-hatred that led me to take that bottle and consider just giving it all up!

When I look back now I see the reason for it all. I know that God was there with me and to this day I never blamed Him. My anger took on a different enemy....ME!

I wanted to self destruct and never return. Boy how I wish I could have been a different person. It just did not work out that way. I was in a pity party with no guests. I had no idea what this would do to me. My psyche was all screwed up. I did not know how to get out!

This road of self-destruction took me on a path that I will share in the days to come. Let me warn you now....it was not pretty!

2 comments:

The Gatekeeper said...

You are a brave woman. You have a story to tell and I will be reading it for sure. Blessings to you, my friend.

LaTara Ham-Ying said...

Thank you for your comment! It means the world to me to know that people support me and want to see this type of truth come to surface.